- "I can't begin to tell you how much my grandchildren (ages 5 & 7) are
enjoying this program. It has just the right mixture of simplicity and
complexity to enable them to do most projects without assistance, and yet
keep them challenged to learn how to do new and interesting things with it.
It is helping them learn computer skills in a fun and interesting way.
Thanks for your work in developing this program!"
- Karlyn N.
- "This software is simply genius, my grand children enjoy [it]"
- JP, Paris, France
- "I have been playing with this software with my 5 yr old daughter (who
has Down's Syndrome) for about 5 minutes (really thats all!) and it is
Some of the features that I really appreciate are: full screen without
the obvious 'quit' buttons (so she won't keep asking me to restart the
program), and the grab cursor thingy that stops her working outside
the program is such a brilliant idea!
She uses a pen and tablet rather than a mouse as it helps her writing
skills, and this works very well with your program. Thank you very
- Nigel Meek
- "Just heard your interview on Jumping Monkeys, and wanted to drop
you a quick note to say thanks for your work on Tux Paint. My daughter
started using it as soon as she could hold a mouse click, at about 2 1/2,
and still loves it at four. And I set up a couple of old P3 Edubuntu
machines for her preschool class, and just about every morning when I go to
drop her off, the kids are on the computers, most often creating
something in Tux Paint."
- Bill Kennedy
- "I just had to tell you that [our daughter] is absolutely in love
with Tux Paint. I know I told you that, but it's freaking me out that
she is only 3 and can operate it all on her own. She knows how to change
the background, change stamps, go from one brush type to another and
change colos - she learned how to use it so quickly! So, I thank you.
And [my daughter] thanks you! :)"
- Patti M., Sacramento, California, USA
- "I just installed Tux Paint 0.9.17 and gave it a test run. Wow;
I'm more excited than a banana boat full of monkeys on steroids! My
grandchildren will absolutely love it. Tux Paint is made for ages 3-12 and
54. ... I can't wait to share this with everyone I know."
- Dennis V. DiGennaro
- "I discovered Tux Paint about two years ago -- I was looking for a
drawing program for my son, then four years old. He lives in Mexico,
and there was no way of getting something quickly for the mac. It is
his favorite --- and until recently only program. Whenever anyone
had a computer open, he would ask 'Donde esta el penguino?' -- 'Where
is the penguin?' He has had and continues to have great fun with
Tuxpaint. Much better than those damn video games. I thank you so much
for making this possible."
- James Carlson
- "I downloaded Tux Paint for my god-daughter... who is seven. I have
purchased and used photo editing software (Photoshop Elements, Photobrush,
Jasc Paint, etc.) and painting sofware for many years and it takes alot to
impress me. This program, however, is just wonderful. I am anxious to see
how much she enjoys it and I, also, plan to pass on your website to other
friends. Okay... I confess... I'm sure I will 'play' with it myself."
- "I just wanted to thank you so much for creating and distributing
TuxPaint. It is our 3-year-old son's favorite activity. It's been an amazing
creative outlet for him--he loves to make up stories while he draws. We've
been impressed at how intuitive and fun it has been for him. Keep up the
- "I have downloaded Tuxpaint for my 5 year old daughter who loves it, and I
can't get her off it. Since using Tuxpaint, her creative and linguistic skills
have come on leaps and it has also developed her IT skills because she now
saves every image she has created. ... Thanks for people like you that believe
in open source software."
- "I have 3 kids; a five year old and 3 year old twins. Now that I've
downloaded Tux Paint I can't keep them off my machine. They can't get enough
of it. Great job and thanks for creating quality software for young kids
that's free, to boot!"
- Chris Bien
- "Thank you! My 2 year old loves this software. I have tried her with
various others and yours is definitely the best!"
- Dr. Clive Bennett
- "You've done it! You've created a functional, powerful, FUN piece of
software my four-year-old can use! I probably looked like a big goofy chimp
here for about 20 minutes as I took Tux Paint for a spin at my local coffee
shop. I swear I was grinning. Not just at the pure whimsey of the software
but also the fact its multi-platform, open-source, and appears to be
infinitely and simply customizable. What a triumph!"
- Peter Thompson
- "I just wanted to say that my daughter loves your program. I do too, as
it's intelligently put together with children in mind, as well as making it
difficult for them to mess about with any other settings."
- Bill Allen
- "My children are big fans of your software (ages 4, 3, and 1) ...
thanks for all your work on Tux Paint- always great to find resources
like this for the kids whereby they can explore their creative potential and
use to learn a computer at the same time. Novel idea!"
- Rich Kulesus
- "My kids have tried paint programs before and lost interest in less than
a minute or two. Tux Paint has kept them busy for hours and enables them
to explore their imagination. My youngest one (8 yrs) can hardly wait
to submit some of his art. I was completely shocked to see them finally doing
something creative instead of wasting the whole afternoon with TV or video
- Tim Jorgenson, Harrisburg, South Dakota USA
- "I've got Tux Paint for my little daughter and she is very happy. It's
- Ann N.
- "Thanks for Tux Paint. I have downloaded both the Mac OSX and Windows
versions. This is an excellent program, especially considering that it's free!
My wife is a teacher of special needs children and has it on her
laptop. She loves it and thinks it will be really useful."
- Patrick Orum
- "I introduced this to my sister's daughter (5-6 at that time) and
son (3 or 4) and they just loved it. ... The rubber stamps and sounds
are brilliant and it seems that nowadays one can post the masterpieces
to be displayed in the tuxpaint pages, which may be quite exciting..."
- "I just downloaded Tux Paint, I am extremely impressed with the
program. I am very anxious for my grandchildren to try it, I am sure
it will be a hit with them."
- Mary Jean Jones
- "I absolutely love it and so does my daughter! We were on it for a
couple of hours! Thanks so much."
- "This program is GREAT! Never saw such an easy to handle and yet
functionable paint program with even a nice interface too! Excellent
- "Excellent for young kids, and a good replacement for an old favorite,
- "MacMan X"
- "My daughter, soon 7, loves it. It is surprizingly powerful for its
- David Baron
- "I just wanted to thank you and your team for the wonderful program
'Tux Paint.' My young daughter just loves to play with it. There isn't
enough software like this for Linux yet but thanks to 'Tux Paint'
you're showing others that there is a way tp produce good quality
- Jeff LeFebvre
- "This is great work! All my friends' kids love it (mine are too
old...). Kind of like the old keybang on Amiga, but on steroids."
- Paul Evans
- "Tux Paint Rocks!!! Today my daughter [...] who just turned 4 came
to me and asked to play that new game ... I duly booted Knoppix on the
old Win98 machine that they usually play games on and brought up
Tux Paint! I then went back to what I was doing and enjoyed 2 hours of
[ed: Tux Paint is available for Windows98!]
- Todd Trichler
- "I would like to thank you for Tux Paint. My four-year-old Billy
and I have tons of fun painting things. Not only is Tux Paint great
for kids, it gives parents like me an easy way to teach our children
the mechanics of art with a mouse, which they can easily extend to
traditional paper-based art. Tux Paint encourages Billy to be creative
with an easy-to-use, game-like interface."
- Chris Guirl
- "I tested this with a 3 ½ year old and she loves it."
- "I am not often impressed with free software for education but this
one looks promising. It is a painting program that was developed for
younger grades. Some possible uses: Primary teachers creating
identification worksheets, money, foods, letters, numbers. Students
creating a picture to write a story about. Students [creating] a picture
of a story they have read."
- Jeff Hogan
- "Just a few words to tell you that though I'm not exactly its
'target,' I got completely seduced by Tux Paint while discovering it
on the Freeduc-CD
project! I spent hours on it the first time I launched it and had
quite a lot of fun! :)"
- Jeremie Zimmerman
- "Tux Paint is great! My brother (4 years old) is painting with it
right now. He's using Win2K, so it's especiallly cool that a Windows
and Mac OS X version have been released."
- "Tux Paint is great! I love all those sounds ;-) I'll tell my
brother, so that he will show it to his two daughters (4 and 7 years old)"
- Janek Kozicki
- "It's very nice tool, I have searched program like this, recently,
for my 4-years-old cousin."
- "My daughter loves Tux Paint. I have an icon for it on a hideaway
Gnome panel. She just clicks and paints. [She] knows how to save and
retrieve an already-saved item now, too. Her favourite at the moment is
to use make 'rainbows', then fill the background with 'stars', then
use the fill tool to make the background 'night'. The combination of
things like stamps and easy to use colourful drawing tools with more
traditional freehand and shape tools is a great asset for
kids. ... Friends who come over are rather impressed at Tux Paint and
have told me that they havn't seen its equal on Windows..."
[ed: Tux Paint is available for Windows!]
- Ian Marsman
- "My son loves to play with your paint program. Great work!"
- Gabor Torok
- "We're really enjoying your Tux Paint!!!"
- "My [4 year old] daughter kills for this app."
- Scott Northrup
- "Hi, great little app. Thanks a million!! My little boy won't
stop... Keep up the great work. Many thanks!"
- Anthony B. (a happy dad)
- "I looked at [Tux Paint] because I have a 4 year old son, who by
the way, loves the program and spent 2 hours last night playing with
it. Great program, keep up the good work."
- Mike O'Hara
- "We've got a 4-year-old in the house who really likes Tux Paint."
- Bryon Gill
- "I must say that I downloaded Tux Paint using Version Tracker and
my almost-6-year old daughter Geneva and I had a grand old time
playing with the program. It's one of I think the best examples of
educational software because it encourages creativity..."
- Dr. Andy Jones, "Dr. Andy's Poetry & Technology Hour", KDVS radio,
90.3FM, Davis, CA
- "Super kudos to the Tux Paint crowd. We love it! I'm so glad you
support Debian/ppc too!"
- Charles Twardy
- "My daughter (since age 4) loves it. ... [The hands-on demo] sounds
like a great project that you're taking on. Good one."
- Dave Hinz
- "Wow, my son LOVES this program. ... Just wanted to let you know
how much [my son and I] like Tux Paint, and how perfect it is!
- Craig Knowlton
- "I showed it to my 5 year old child, [and] he jumped [happily]"
- Paolo, Italy
- "It should be included in all main [Linux distributions].
Games for children like this and [Tux Typing] are very important for the
divulgation of Linux. Thanks Bill!"
- "This is a great program and my 4 year old loves it."
- Simon Butterworth
- "My kids love Tux Paint, so thanks guys!"
- Matt Black
- "Just a small word of thanks for distributing Tux Paint. My eldest
son (6) really enjoys it, especially the sounds! ... It's simply
- Tony Rossini
- "[I have a seven year old son] and a five year old daughter. They
LOVED [Tux Paint]! I literally had to pry them away from the computer
to eat... The rainbow and sparkling drawing tools were a huge hit!"
- Brandy Kurtz
- "Many thanks for your excellent software. My little daughter is
now 5 years old and [is a] great fan of Tux Paint. The program is
really kid-friendly and easy-to-use. ... My little girl loves the
special features you usually don't find in a common drawing program:
the 'Magic Tools.'"
- Francesc Dorca, Spain
- "My daughter loves your program, and she regularly asks me [to] launch
'tuk' for her to draw something."
- Pablo Saratxaga, Belgium
- "I love your program. It is so much faster than Photoshop
for simple painting. And sounds and colors are silly, madness."
- "Great app! Brings out the kid in all of us, plus it can be used as
a lite paintbrush tool by adults, even more cool with the extra stamps
- "I have six year old twins and they love Tux Paint. I had to show
them what some of the icons did, but they got the hang of it quickly
because it's similar to drawing programs they've used before. It's fun."
- Damon Riley
- "Tux Paint is fabulous! ... My little 4 year old daughter really
enjoys the program."
- Howard Kaufman
- "My kids think it's great!!! In my opinion, [it's] way better and more
imaginative than [Microsoft Paint]. Keep up the good work."
- "I just downloaded it and tried it out myself, my kids are going to
- Harry Phillips
- "You'll be pleased to know that my kids (3 ½ and 6) love
[Tux Paint]. It runs solidly and stabily on a 200 MHz Windows95
machine (as well as on a 800 MHz Gentoo Linux box, when they borrow my
machine!). Something they found particularly fun was when I converted
a few photograph extracts to stamps, and used the "Festival" speech
synthesiser on Linux to generate matching verbal captions to the
pictures. ... Thanks for the great program."
- David Brown
- "Tux Paint is a fantastic program."
- Sergio Belkin
- "If you've got kids, don't dowload this, because they'll simply
take over your computer. Aimed at kids and very good at this. You can
even download more stamps. Very nice."
- "Works great for 2 year old daughters getting to like Linux more
and more... I never even dreamed that there would be such nice apps
[released as Open Source] for kids... Keep up the GREAT WORK!"
- Stephan (A happy father of a girl who could pronounce the words
'tux' and 'penguin' before the age of 2)
- "Let me commend you on your contribution to enrich the lives of my
kids (and many others) through the different applications you offer
with such simple interfaces."
- Gavin Chester
- "[A] GREAT program. ... It is a great compliment to your user
interface as [my 6-year-olds] were able to use the program in its
entirety without any instruction from me!"
- Gregg Levethan
- "Many thanks Bill for writing Tux Paint. My youngsters love it!"
- James Jensen
- "Tux Paint rocks!"
- Barry Smoke
- "My daughter loves Tux Paint and has been freakin' out with it for a
couple of weeks now. ... Keep up the excellent work. [It] looks very
- Janardhan Sridhar
- "There will always be a special place in my heart for that eraser
and the 'EEE-ERR EEE-ERR EEE-ERR' sound from Bill Kendrick's fabulous
Tux Paint program."
- Andru Luvisi
- "My 6-yr old son is hooked on Tux Paint! Thanks!"
- Yishay Mor
- "This is a fun program"
- Chris Schram
- "Really great. Tommorow I will install this on our network (primary
school) and let all these little guys and girls work with Tux Paint!!!
- "Thanks for Tux Paint, [my son] *LOVES* it. Next time, make it less
- "Thank you for this fantastic software! My kids love it!"
- Eric Bachard
- "I downloaded Tux Paint and tried it out. Very cool."
- Jeff Tunnell, GarageGames
- "'Tux Paint' is excellent! The operation is very easy, and
I'm especially interested in [the] stamp function."
- Kuniyasu Odagami
- "[My son] is three years old and loves Tux Paint very much. He
always says 'I wanna play with Penguin's PC!'
- Shin-ichi Toyama
- "My daughter is irresistibly attracted to the screen and mouse but
she can't do much yet. This is going to be just perfect. Thanks to the
- "[Tux Paint] is a very neat paint program geared toward
little ones. The program seems very stable. It is GNU GPL licensed and
free software. ... My favorite feature is the file saving. The files
are saved as pictures in a palette. There is no browsing the file
system to find images. Click open and a visual list of the pictures
(large thumbnails) comes up."
- Casey Milford
- "I have been assessing Tux Paint... and I must say it's a great
- Phil Harper
- "The computer teacher unleashed Tux Paint to the fifth grade
students [on Friday]. They love the program!"
- Luis Montes
- "Tux Paint is nice software - I was really surprised that something
like this exists for Linux - it has child-friendly interface,
everything is simple... Good work and lots of fun with developing
- Milan Plzik
- "[Tux Paint is for] young children? I'm 61 and I had a good time
with Tux. Must be I'm very childish. Or senile. Nice program
- Torgyn Jonsson
- "Good stuff. :^) Excellent to see new stuff [for BeOS] popping up
here and there."
- Vanne de Castle
- "While I don't have kids myself, it's great to see [Tux Paint
ported to BeOS]. Keep it up!"
- Michel Clasquin
- "My [11 year old daughter] enjoys Tux Paint."
- "Really a great application! My kid loves it (3 years now)."
- "This is impressive. It's fast from what I can tell & seems
- "You should be jailed, because Tux Paint is insanely addictive!"
- Christian Selig
- "It is a prettiest painting program for small children. I recommend
it to all those that they have small [children] in the house! In addition,
it is free..."
- Gabriel Gazzan
- "My customers all love Tux Paint [...] it got installed on at 15
- "This is a really fun program."
- Anonymous Linux Game Tome visitor
- "My daughter loves the program."
- "Good luck, Tux Paint looks like a great application!"
- "I'd like to say 'thank you' for the great work done in
Tux Paint :-)"
- Reinhard Mueller
- "My little girl of 2 ½ is completely taken away. A must
- "The Debain Jr. package(s) are great for kids... [my 2 year old
daughter] has fun with 'gcompris' and 'Tux Paint' by herself."
- "My daughter (4 years old) loves using Tux Paint."
- Michael Thome
- "I got the new version this morning. ... And it works great! It
automatically switches to Dutch. Seven o'clock in the morning [and] my
daughter [is] testing Tux Paint! It is addictive! ... The longer I
look at it the nicer it gets. If we would have 10 programs like this
one available for school we WOULD have Linux in school!"
- "Congratulations on making so much progress so quicky and making it
to the November issue of Linux Magazine that I just bought today!"
- Jordan Wilberding
- "My little brother enjoys it a lot. If you have a relative who
doesn't rise many handspans off the ground, I recommend it to you! :)"
- 'Talkative Pobrecito'
- "It really is a great program. I have two young daughters (2 and
4), they both love playing with it. I can't tell you how much I
appreciate well written Open Source software like Tux Paint -- I get a
grin on my face every time one of them starts clicking away and pasting
Tux all over the screen."
- "My 5 year old loves it too, very easy to create some really good
stuff. One of her friends came 'round with a bunch of Barbie CD's a
while back, after explaining the benefits of free software my daughter
fired Tux Paint up and we never heard another peep out of them all
- "Tux Paint is a really fun program for young kids. It even managed
to keep my 2 year old entertained for 20 minutes -- which is a long
time for a kid that age. It is a basic painting program, but with a
lot of bells and whistles a young kid would like. It also has big easy
buttons that are easy for children to navigate. ... It is really quite
nice for children between 2 and 7. There is also a full screen option
which makes it much easier for the kids to click away."
- "Despite Kendrick's philosophy of 'release every two weeks,' Tux
Paint is a great software program to use if you like making pictures
of penguins attacking Jupiter with vegetables and musical notes."
- Dan Olson
- "Nice work! It's a bit advanced for my 2 year old yet :-)"
- Matthew Cornell
- "We have tried Tux Paint and it is very good."
- Bob Breedlove
- "After about 15 minutes I have everything installed and working :-)
The program is smart really... Greetings and thank you for the
- Pere Pujal i Carabantes
- "Congratulations on the program, very good work ;-)"
- Joan Torrents
- "My two-year-old loves it."
- Andrew Stribblehill
- "I installed Tux Paint today and I am quite impressed! The food
stamps came out very well, the interface is easy, and the performance
good on my 160Mhz Pentium notebook."
- Henry House
- "Thanks for Tux Paint - just discovered it - and the kids are
enjoying it right now ... (although the sounds are going to annoy me!
but that's the fun of kids!)"
[ed: Tux Paint's sound effects can be disabled!]
- "Jenna surprised me the other day when she was playing with Tux
Paint. She drew some scribbles and pointed to it and said, 'Jenna!
J.. E.. C.. C.. A! Jenna!' It was very close :) She has the C and N
confused it seems, but considering she's never spelled any words out
before, that's not bad. She also counted from 1 to 10 with minimal
help today. I love seeing kids develop like this. ..."
- Christian Hammond (in his web diary)
- "[My daughter], age 4, is now testing [Tux Paint]. She
says 'I like the happy faces and all the faces the best.' Mom says
she's really having fun with them. Together, we would like to thank
you again for Tux Paint..."
- Ben Armstrong
- "I came over your site after a few months and was very impressed by
all the changes I saw, and especially by the new kid on the block:
Tux Paint which is a very welcome addition that was lacking
- Bruno Nitrosso
- "I really find Tux Paint cute, and I tell all people with children
- Thomas Klausner
- "I tried it out -- very nice! ... I think this little program will
become very popular. My wife wants to play with it. :-) Great job Bill!"
- Rod Roark
- "Great! Pretty nice work on this software..."
- "Thank you Bill Kendrick! Tux Paint is fun :-)"
- "I finally had a chance to test Tux Paint with a 'real' user -- my
three year old niece. And she loved it!"
- Karl Ove Hufthammer
- "I installed Tux Paint on my nephews' computer the other
week. They love [it]. Great work. I'd recommend [it] to others with
- "As the father of a 19 month old daughter, I'd like to express my
personal thank you for Tux Paint."
- Neil Bradley
- "You guys are awesome! I'm glad that software like this is
available for kids! It's even fun for us 'older kids,' too. You are an
important asset to the Open Source community. Keep up the great work!"
- "Excellent work on Tux Paint! I've got it running on my
Redhat [Linux] 7.3 laptop and its running great. My son loved [it].
I had him and his friend trying it out, and it was more than intuitive
enough. They particularly like the magic effects..."
- Luis Montes
- "Just wanted to say that this program is great. It compiles on
PS2Linux (Linux for the PlayStation2), too!"
- Seth Nagao
- "Thank you. It's a great program."
- Ingartze Astuy
- "Keep up the good work, I look forward to see Tux Paint getting
better and better..."
- Björgvin Ragnarsson
- "It's a pleasure to do a couple of things to help a nice project
becoming even nicer :-) Good luck with it!"
- Herman Bruyninckx
- "Hey, Tux Paint is a lot of *fun*, also for me! ;) ... Thank you
for this piece of software!"
- Marco Milanesi
- "Tux Paint is really cool! My little sister is very happy!"
- Ingo Blechschmidt
- "Tux Paint is very good tool for kids and you are great
- Mantas K.
- "My two-year old loves Tux Paint..."
- "I think my daughter will love this. She was playing with
'xpaint.' This is a much more user friendly for a 4 year old."
- Chris Egger
- "I just wanted to let you know that my (four year old) daughter
*loves* Tux Paint! I set her up on it last night (using the Debian
package--nice!) and she asked for it again ... She loves the stamp
feature--the Tux stamps are her favorite."
- Doug Barbieri
- "Thanks for really great work! Tux Paint is the best child-oriented
paint-program I have ever seen. My small sister (9) likes it very
- Fabian Franz
- "I think it's rather good and much needed in the Linux world"
- Gabriel Gazzan
- "Wonderful! Very good job! My grandchildren are happy now with Linux."
- "[My son is] 3 years old and enjoyed the Stamps, figures and free
painter, but particularly the Eraser. Each time he painted something
he carefully erased it all ;-) Good job!"
- German Morales
- "Easiest linux software. All linux software should take this one as
- "It is excellent. This is the sort of things kids need."
- "My niece had a play with [Tux Paint] and enjoyed it immensely!
She liked the bold sweeps of colour that she could achieve... She
loved making huge crowds of happy, waving penguins!"
- John Popplewell
- "Man, this one really rocks. Thank you. Now kids who happen to be
there have a reason to love linux. :-)"
- "It is really very good, and it has matured very much since its
first official release."
- "[My children, ages 8 and 4] are having lots of fun with Tux Paint...
Thanks from the whole Armstrong family"
- Ben Armstrong
- "Excellent work with Tux Paint."
- Bill Robinson
- "Very good! Continue the great work!"
- "Your piece of software is really needed [for Linux]. Nice work!"
- Tom Fernandes
- "Tux Paint rocks!"
- David Turner
- "Great idea, great user interface."
- Gaetan de Menten
- "Very cute and cool. This program is an excellent idea."
- "Great! This is a great app."
- "This is a really nice, brightly-colored painting
program. It has gentle graphics, and just the right flash to get kids
to look at computers. Good job, Bill, keep up the good work!"
- "I'm really glad to see this because I just started one of my kids
up with 'The Gimp.' Other kid painting type programs are usually for
coloring in an existing picture."
- Russell Zauner
- "Very cute! ... I really liked the nice bold words at the bottom of
the screen so the child may come to associate the picture of moon
stamp with the word 'MOON'. I'm sure this will be a hit even as it
stands right now."
- Steve Baker (on one of the original versions)
- "Just tried it out, and it's awesome!"
- Sam Hart
- "[My son] Zach really liked it and he really likes drawing and
painting programs. Very cool and I am sure it is soon to be one of
- Stephen Helms (who inspired the Tux Paint project)
- "I sat here and played with it for longer than I'm willing to
admit. :) This oughta be a lot of fun in the end."
- Ryan C. Gordon (on one of the original versions)
- "I don't really have time to complain [about the beta version],
I'm too busy with drawing."
- Josef Spillner (on the first beta release)
Did you know? Tux Paint is named after Tux the penguin, the mascot of the Linux operating system. "Tux" is short for tuxedo.